Tuesday, October 12, 2010

microgreens

One of my first microgreens mixes (for production) ever is almost ready to offer at Happy Tides Health Foods this week!
Very limited quantities because I'm still experimenting and developing them. This one in the photo is a trio of baby arugula plants, purple radish shoots and sunflower shoots. Tangy flavours.
It will be ideal mixed with pea shoots!

The arugula for this mix is growing in containers outside but I'll start growing them in trays in the greenhouse soon because the weather is getting cooler. My hope is to be able to grow these colourful, fresh, nutritious and delicious greens all winter long. It's expected to be a cold winter here in our neck of the woods so...fingers crossed!!

The purple radish shoots growing indoors, in their tray. This photo shows them needing just a few more days to be ready for the mix.

A tray of the sunflower shoots, pretty much ready for harvest here.

I'm trying a lot of different varieties these days to see how they work. These are trays of broccoli shoots. They need about another 10 days of growth here before they're ready for a microgreen mix but I've nibbled on them already and they taste so much like broccoli, even at this stage! cool.

A tray of tiny red amaranth plants. I'm really excited about the colour these will add to the mixes!
I poked around the internet for some reads about microgreens. here are a couple links:
A few people have asked me about growing their own, especially for winter salads....I'll be posting some ideas.....eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment