Friday, January 14, 2011

Another New Year!

So here we are smack dab in the middle of January again.
Winter Solstice to mid-January is one of my favourite times of year because I get to set new intentions, make plans, dream, organize, order seeds, visit....and read by the fire!!
Here are the 4 gardening books that have really captured my attention this year:

The Winter Harvest Handbook by Eliot Coleman. Here's a link to his Four Season Farm. Lots of great links there with inspiring information and photos. Here's an amazon.com link so you can take a look inside the pages of the book.
This book has been super helpful, giving me all kinds of ideas about how I'm going to do my low tunnel hoops for fall, winter and early spring growing next year.

The Zero Mile Diet by Carolyn Herriot. And since it's the seed catalogue time of year, here's a link to Carolyn's Seeds of Victoria catalogue. I have my eye on the Angels' Fishing Rods and the Giant Yellow Scabiosa! And check out the Crimson Flowered Favas, I think I've just gotta grow them this year and next and the year after....they look really beautiful and there's nothing better to me in the garden than a beautiful, ornamental AND food producing plant!
Full of practical information, inspirational ideas and lovely photos too. This book is great to begin reading at any time of year but I think it's especially fun to begin now since it has a month by month layout, starting in January and January's all about the soil.
Another really nice thing about this book for me: I always enjoy and appreciate gardening books that are centered around a southwest coast of BC reality like mine! Lots of great info for all climates though.

"Microgreens, A Guide to Growing Nutrient-Packed Greens" by Eric Franks and Jasmine Richardson. For a peek inside the book click here. If you're at all interested in growing shoots and microgreens, I really think you need to take a look at this book! Thorough information and ideas and very inspiring, beautiful photos.

Gaia's Garden, A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture by Toby Hemenway. Positively full of endless info and ideas that I think are really important to keep in mind when we're landscaping, gardening and growing food. This book reminds me of one of my favourite quotes from Angeles Arrien: "Walk the mystical path with practical feet." Lots of creative visionary ideas coupled with practical knowledge.

On another topic: I just discovered the stats area of this blog and I'm thoroughly amazed at how many visitors are coming here! wow!
Thank you to all of you who are stopping by, commenting or emailing me to let me know you enjoy it. I really appreciate it, it's so nice for me to know you're interested! I'm wishing you lots of good wishes for a happy 2011!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Christina, I am from Spain, just "discovered" your blog the other day and i'm reading and enjoyin most of your posts. Like the garlic post for instance. I liked a lot because i learned basics things about it.
    There are beautiful gardening blogs, there are practical gardening blogs and there are good writen gardening blogs. Yours is simple, practical beautiful and very well writen. I like your style and approach to gardening and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lola!
    It's nice to meet you here. Thank you so much for your positive and kind comments. I really appreciate that you took the time to let me know you enjoy the posts and even find them helpful!
    Lots of good wishes to you! Christina

    ReplyDelete