Wednesday, February 24, 2010

nettle soup

Stinging nettle is a powerful health supporting plant rich in many minerals and vitamins. I especially like that it's high in iron and also has a high vitamin C content which helps in the absorption of the iron.

Here's how I make my nettle soup...

I sauté some onion, garlic and leek in a soup pot with a little bit of butter and/or olive oil.

I chop up some potatoes into cubes, stir them up with the onions, garlic and leeks and then add some vegetable stock.
I wash the nettles (with my rubber gloves on) and clip off the tougher stem bits. Then I chop the nettles roughly and stuff them into the pot.....

Then I add some more vegetable stock and simmer the mixture 'til the potatoes are soft. I then lightly blend with a handheld immersion blender. A little salt and pepper, lemon to taste. Sometimes, if I feel like more of a health tonic style soup, I leave the potato out completely to keep it light and more simply nettley.

1 comment: