Thursday, August 11, 2011

potato harvest

I've been growing potatoes in pots for a few years now and I'm still so happy with the results.

I'm almost finished harvesting the first planting and am on to planting another crop for late fall, early winter and Christmas dinner harvests of oh so special and delicious new potatoes.  I can't get over the ease of this method and the incredible blemish free, beautiful young spuds that I can produce this way.  Tip the pot into the wheelbarrow and there they all are!   The soil and plant material goes to new beds I'm creating on the edge of the forest, "lasagna gardening" style.  Or sometimes into my compost pile.

This year, I had so many pots on the go that it got impossible to water them and keep on top of adding potting soil, grass clippings and straw on time as the plants grew.  Disappointing, but it's part of the process of expanding, I suppose.  Now that I'm truly sure of this method and ready to commit, we're putting some irrigation lines together for the 100+ pots that I'll have going next year.  That will help a lot.  Getting the systems in place is so integral to success!

Even with the growing pains,  I had piles of potatoes this summer.

Seiglinde,  Chieftain,  Russian Blue.

All bagged up in their 2 lb. bags, ready to go to the stores.  I sold quite a few at the Farmer's Market too and of course, we didn't forget to eat our share!

No comments:

Post a Comment